Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Redemption of Amy Poehler

I dislike Amy Poehler. I can't think of any movie where she elevates the humor. On SNL, she's a detriment more than enjoyable. She's responsible for staring in one of the worst skits that show has had in year, the insufferable "Kaitlin". She took attention away from Tina Fey on Weekend Update, instead of being a deferent wax statue like Jimmy Fallon. She also does skits while also doing the Update, which just seems wrong. I hate her. Hate her baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Buuut...

this news that she will be involved in a spinoff of 'The Office'...I'm optimistic. No, I did not get a pep talk from Miss Mordant (who gives Poehler way too much credit on a daily basis). I can't think of how many arguments we've had about things like sub-prime mortgages, cancer medication and whether calling chicks 'babes' is sexist or not that have devolved into a discussion of the general tolerability of Poehler. It generally looks something like this.

MM: She's funny
KC:Nu uh
MM:FUCK YOU
KC: AHHHHH

and out come the fungo bats.

However, that lady can deadpan and sound awkward, which are the two things you need to be successful on The Office unless your name is Jenna Fischer and you somehow were created by a focus group out of wholesale images taken from my head, and even she has to deadpan once in a while. The problem with Poehler is that she can't try to be funny. When she does she becomes a tiny blond ball of energy and shrieks until my TV tube explodes. If she plays a character like Steve Carrell, I'll probably like it.

Or she could just do this some more

1 comment:

Emily G. said...

Aaand this is why I don't watch SNL anymore.